The History Of Bullocks Building
The timeline of our building and it's occupants over the last 400+ years
- circa 1550-1600First erected as two buildings, so often housed more than one trader.
Earliest recorded owners, Abel Wood, a saddler, and George Langford, a joiner.
- 1765Joseph Baker gets permission to build a baker's oven.
- 1781Property now includes a slaughter house and stables.
- 1801George Hall, a glover, becomes a co-owner.
- 1830-40Taken over by Nokes' boot and shoe makers.
- 1851New tenant, Thomas Crowther, plumber.
- 1857Site becomes a candle factory, then a grocer's run by Samuel Battersby.
- 1860Thomas Hines, a tinner and brazier moves in.
- 1871Taken over by Sarah Miller, creating a confectionery and baker's business.
- 1891In comes James Piper, bootmaker.
- 1897Frederick Wilkes opens an outfitter store.
- 1908-12Charlie Gibbs and Henry Brooking run Target Clothing from here.
- 1908The building is purchased by Edward Bullock who establishes the bakery and is followed by his son Alfred in 1932. During the '20s, the building also housed a silversmith, Christine Frey, and Ernest Batty removals.
- 1970sThe bakery and tearoom taken over by the Abbey family.
- 1985Renovations are followed by an official re-opening by Earl and Lady Spencer.
- 1989-1998The building was unoccupied until taken over by Worcestershire CC. Re-opened as Wychavon 'One Stop Shop', and Citizen's Advice Bureau.
- 2011Building vacated by council and remains empty until purchased by Andy and Steve in 2013, with the guidance and encouragement of Jacqui Dowdeswell
Information provided by the Historic Droitwich Project from census returns, trade directories and other documents. November 2015